Join the club
If you think you would like to try your hand at bowls, please get in touch. HBC is open to everyone: For the experienced player there are plenty of opportunities to play, and for the beginner plenty of opportunities to learn. Training sessions can be arranged to put new members on the right track. To start with, you can borrow some bowls to have a go, so the only "equipment" you need are flat shoes that won't damage the green. You will be made most welcome.
The outdoor season lasts from the beginning of May until the end of August. The Club plays in various leagues and, as well as playing at home, we also have away matches with other local clubs. Matches are mostly played on weekday evenings and last a couple of hours.
League matches are played with teams of three. You don't have to play in league matches if you don't want to. We have in-club competitions and 'roll-ups' - informal matches between members - on Saturday and Monday afternoons or at any time when the green is not booked for other matches or maintenance. There are also BBQ afternoons which provide an opportunity for members and guests to take part in a friendly competition and enjoy a convivial afternoon.
If you join, membership costs £30 a year, and then each time you play in a league or county match there is a "green fee" of £2. We are keen to encourage youngsters to join in and learn to play and will organise training sessions for them.
There is also a reduced subscription for junior members.
The club is offering two types of membership for the 2023 season – Competing Membership and Social Membership.
Social membership is aimed at players who may have joined the club recently and who do not want, at this stage, to play in league or county matches.
Both types of membership cost the same - £30 a year, and both competing and social members can be on the club committee.
The main differences are:
• Must have shirts in the club colours, to be worn at all league and county matches, and
in-house matches where the committee decides the dress code* is applicable (e.g. the Marjon Trophy match)
• Casual ware is permitted for BBQs and roll-ups
• League/match fees must be paid for every game, and use of the green for county games must be agreed with the green keeper
• Do not play in any of the league or county matches
• Do not have buy a club shirt, but without one they will not be allowed to play in any in-house match where the committee decides the dress code* applies
• Will not be registered with the Norfolk bowling associations to play in any league or county game at Hickling Bowls Club
* Click here for full details of the dress code
To find out more about playing bowls at the club please contact our Secretary John Parsons on 07717 683741 or email email@example.com